Sunday 29 June 2014

Inspired by this week's DMTV demo where Linda shows different techniques using just one stencil I got out some of my favourite dried leaves to use as motifs, cut out a stencil and did trials on paper to see if the shapes were suitable for what I had in mind.

Here's the stencil with the first version above - using a decolourant which removes the colour of the fabric when it's ironed - just like magic!

Above I've used red and brown Markal Paintstiks on hand dyed fabric and then cut out the shapes in painted bondaweb and applied them to fabric.

Here I've used brown and red Markal on the top version and red Pébéo fabric paint applied with a sponge on the bottom one, both on calico fabric.

For these Batik and calico strips I've used the stencil to get an outline of the shapes with a fabric pen so that I'll be able to stitch  them and then apply paint after quilting.

Decolourant.

Markal Paintstiks on hand-dyed fabric.

Markal on calico.


Above I've joined 5 strips ready to trim and add a narrow black border to make a quilted wallhanging.

3 strip version.  I've used Jacquard metallic gold fabric paint for the motifs on the strip on the left, decolourant in the centre and Markal on the right.

This is a 2 strip version which I've made into a square by adding  narrow strips of fabric top and bottom.  I've started quilting it to make a cushion.

I've used a heavy weight black thread to stitch by machine on the Batik fabric ........
and by hand on the hand-dyed fabric.
I'll probably echo stitch the motifs, free motion quilt the background and then add some paint to finish off -  SUCH  FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment