Saturday, 5 April 2014

Playing with marbling.

I've been having great fun experimenting with a marbling kit I bought at the recent NEC show.  I started off printing onto white paper and then, above, onto white fabric.  The colours were bright and quite garish so I then moved on to using some walnut-dyed fabric as a base to see if I could calm things down a bit!  
The paint is heat fixed to become permanent.
The results on darker fabric were lovely but a little too sombre for my needs.

So I chopped the patches up & mixed them with darkish grey and pink fabrics to give a bit of life to the colour palette and made up crazy blocks for the centre of a wallhanging.

The extra wide border is in preparation for longarm quilting in reds/pinks to show up against the grey background as in the quilt below.  I'll also add some pretty decorative machine stitching like below to visually link the reds and pinks in the piecing to the outer border.


I had enough leftover marbled fabric for an 18" cushion cover to co-ordinate with the hanging.  Once the quilting is complete I may need to tone down the pink areas - we'll see!

Meanwhile outside this pair of mallards are waiting patiently for my neighbour to open his doors & feed them.  They've been coming to his door regularly for lunch since last summer and bearing in mind that they live on the river some distance away that's quite remarkable!

No comments:

Post a comment